Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thinking Outside the Box

3DMindset & Learning

Does multi-tasking give you a real or false sense of having accomplished something?
Well, if you'd ask me, I would reply "It depends on the individual & the situation". This is answering the question - however, if applied to myself, I'd say multi-tasking actually fails; not only the quality of the produced result might drop, but the efficiency and rate of producing work will indubitably falter.

HOWEVER! Excluding the people who actually multi-tasks perfectly, the people who casually does it - for instance, a regular Singaporean Teenager studying for their O' Levels and someone texts him on his phone and he replies with glee then goes back to work. No matter how you see here, he actually wasted time checking his phone and replying. On the other hand, if you look at it this way - the person who texted him was his teacher, and he is asking various questions on the subject at hand - does this consider to be wasting time? Is multi-tasking really that bad?

In a nutshell, I think that for me, as a person, I'd say multi-tasking does not work for me but will give me a sense of satisfaction when I'd finish multiple jobs while doing that. But I do believe that multi-tasking really satisfies many people out there in the world and have made it big by doing it.

Is learning 3D and design different from learning programming, or is all learning the same?Why?
If learning was all the same, then why do people develop multiple ways to teach the same thing? Obviously learning language will not be the same as learning mathematics although they have few things in common - perserverance, attitude, willingness to learn and many more factors that all boil down to family upbringing and developing traits from various sources.

And therefore my answer to this question is: YES. Designing and programming requires planning, but in design, you will need a different set of skills that are different from programming and these skills will have different learning schemes laid out for them.


The article states that “Learning is actually a very complex operation for an individual”. Do you agree with this? Do you feel that you approach your learning in the best way – if yes, how, and if no, how can you change your work style?
Learning IS complicated. If learning isn't complicated, we'd be able to do most things in the world. Ask a professional pianist to attempt a masters mathemathics or vice versa, the result will most likely be the same excluding some rare cases. Learning differs from person to person, that is why learning is complicated - or should I say, TEACHING these individuals and making them learn is difficult.

I feel that learning is all in the mind. If you think you can, and actually put your heart to it - it is possible to learn. Therefore, optimistic attitude towards learning is very important. If you don't want to, would you give your 100%?

For myself, I often ponder over "What is my learning style?" strangely though, I don't think I've ever approached my learning style in the best way because it hasn't been discovered yet. I just do work with what I got - but I'd prefer to work where nobody can see me.

What are your thoughts about the last paragraph in the extract?
Strongly agreed. The main point here is communication. And communication is what made humans human. Our speech evolutionized from mere animals who could only probably say "Food" "Danger". The quote "No man can be an island of his own" comes into play everywhere.

HOWEVER, communication may also your worst enemy. Things may go awry due to miscommunication, angst, backstabbing, gossiping etc. Wars in this world are started by the tongue.
But still, despite the adverse effects, communication is still vital to our society in every aspect of civilization.

Should your lecturers also focus on your work attitude, or just leave you to sink or swim on your own? Why?
This question is one of the few questions that have been repeated for ages over and over again but in the end will never be resolved. Why?

Let's say that in a class of 40 students, half likes self study, half of that half actually studies during self study. The other half of the class relies on teachers to keep up with their grades and as a result in the future, falter to the vicious society that will milk them for all their worth.

What I'm trying to say here is that it depends from class to class. Lecturers need to pinpoint who needs guidance and who doesn't. Oh yes, it sounds easy, but only the most dedicated and patient educators will be able to do that.

This question is very ambiguous. But I'd say for 3D, I would like to work on my own stuff and get feedback from the educator for areas of improvement. But that again will differ from other subjects e.g. Databases.

No comments:

Post a Comment